It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas!
If you’ve never tried a unit study before,
this busy time of year might be a good time to give it a try !
Simple learning ideas for stress free
and FUN holiday homeschooling !
So that there’s lots of time for baking cookies, going to plays, homemade presents, and hopefully,
even a bit of quiet time to soak in the awe of the advent !
*Week 1: ‘A Christmas Carol’
*Vocabulary & Other Activities
* A Christmas Carol Lesson
( Lots of printables…worksheets, fact sheets, recipes, and other activities)
* A Christmas Carol Vocabulary
* A Christmas Carol Script– Try gathering some friends and acting out this play version !
* Discussion Questions, Fun Activities, and more
* A Christmas Carol Crossword Puzzle
* Reading Comprehension Questions from Easy Fun School
*Week 2: Charles Dickens
* Biography of Charles Dickens OR Everything Dickens (interactive)
Watch the brief BBC Biography, The Life of Charles Dickens on YouTube
or the full length A&E Biography (very interesting, but probably best for older students)
* ” Christmas With Charles Dickens“, a short memoir by Dickens’ daughter, Mamie Dickens
* “A Christmas Tree” , a short story by Dickens
(Also, you can listen to a well done audio version on the same page!
This might be helpful, as some of the victorian language is likely
unfamiliar and a bit difficult. )
* Collection of Short Stories by Dickens to enjoy reading online
* ‘The Ivy Green‘ a poem by Dickens
* Samantha: An American Girl Holiday
(Just for fun- though this movie is not set in England, the time period and the themes
of the industrial revolution and child labor are the same)
Continue reading ‘A Christmas Carol’ Mini Unit