~An Old Fashioned Thanksgiving~
Thanksgiving Unit Study
Stories to read aloud together, recipes, games to play, crafts, history, family devotional ideas, and lots more fun!
*Watch the Hallmark movie version of “An Old Fashioned Thanksgiving” online
*Other “Old-Fashioned Thanksgiving” short stories and poems:
( The following stories are all found free by clicking the links below. They would be great for further Reading, Narration, and/or Copy Work. You could use these simply by visiting the sites, or you could print them out and put them together into a reading notebook for this unit. )
* “The Silver Party” by Louisa May Alcott
* Celebrating Thanksgiving Day with Literature….a VERY nice collection of short stories & other writing all in one place. Excellent resource !!
* “We Thank Thee” by Robert Louis Stevenson,
* A very nice group of Thanksgiving Poetry Selections from Ambleside Online
* “Hunting the Deceitful Turkey” by Mark Twain (read online)
* ”Thanksgiving Time” , an essay by Laura Ingalls Wilder
*More Holiday Stories by Louisa May Alcott*
– “Effie’s Christmas Dream”
(This is written as a play & I think would be great fun to act out when all the kids & cousins are gathered together! )
* Thanksgiving Grammar & Writing Ideas*
* Bible Study/Film Study/Discussion based on the film, “An Old Fashioned Thanksgiving”
* Giving Thanks Bible Study for kids
* A Thankful Heart ideas for families
*History of Thanksgiving*
– The Feast of Tabernacles, the very first Thanksgiving … audiobook (Librivox)
– American Thanksgiving in a nutshell (video)
– The First Thanksgiving from Scholastic…a full history unit, including virtual field trips, lesson plans, etc…
– The History of Thanksgiving from Plimoth.org
– Sarah Josephine Hale and an American Thanksgiving from Pilgrim Hall
– Sarah Josephine Hale, and America’s Holiday
Short video from the History Channel
– Thanksgiving Proclamations by various US Presidents
George Washington’s Thanksgiving Proclamation of 1789
Abraham Lincoln’s Thanksgiving Proclamation of 1863
John F. Kennedy’s Thanksgiving Proclamation of 1961
George W. Bush’s Thanksgiving Proclamation of 2001 and 2008
Barack Obama’s Thanksgiving Proclamation of 2013
– Thanksgiving Printables from In All You Do…Breed-Love
*Thanksgiving Science in the Kitchen:
*An Old Fashioned Thanksgiving Menu*
(Based on the meal prepared by the Bassett Children)
*Plum Pudding Recipe
*Mince Meat Pie (from 1832)
*Apple Pie … A history of how Apple Pie fits into the Thanksgiving Feast !
*Cider … A history and some recipes
– Try buying a bag of whole nuts & cracking them while watching a movie one night.
Notice the differences and similarities between the different kinds of nuts.
– “The Christmas Song” … Something to listen to while roasting the chestnuts 🙂
– Oranges were once considered a very special treat and still are a holiday tradition in many families today.
* Old Fashioned Doughnuts recipe
*More Thanksgiving Recipes from the 1800’s:
* ‘Thanksgiving, Lincoln, and Pumpkin Pudding’ a bit of Thanksgiving history and a traditional recipe.
* Louisa May Alcott’s Apple Buckle Recipe~
This recipe has both a literary and cultural history. Louisa May Alcott’s favorite dessert recipe includes baking powder, which wasn’t available until after 1856, when it was introduced to the area. Also of note is that she cooked it on her own free-standing stove, considered a new-fangled invention at the time.
3 c peeled and sliced apples
¼ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp nutmeg
3 tbsp maple syrup
3 tbsp lemon juice
For the topping:
1 c flour
1½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
2 tbsp sugar
dash of cinnamon and nutmeg (¼ tsp total)
1 beaten egg
4 tbsp butter
Combine the apples, spices, maple syrup, and lemon juice in an 8 x 8 baking pan. Sift the dry ingredients together, and then add the egg, stirring until the mixture is crumbly. Spoon this over the apples and dot with the butter. Bake at 350º for 30–40 minutes. Serve warm.
Blueberry, Peach or Pear Buckle can be made by substituting other fruits for the apples.
*Thanksgiving Math Ideas:
* Thanksgiving Themed Math Printables (from Basic to Geometry)
* Sweet Math idea for the littles
* Thanksgiving Art:
+ A really nice art appreciation lesson with Norman Rockwell for many ages
from Harrington Harmonies
+ Art Appreciation Lesson- Norman Rockwell from Garden of Praise… scroll down to the very bottom for printable coloring pages, crossword puzzles, etc… LOVE this resource !!!
+ Thanksgiving Art Appreciation Unit (Wide selection of artists)
*Old Fashioned Thanksgiving Decorations:
– Make Popcorn Garlands
*Nine Men’s Morris as the Basset children played in the story
(printable with instructions)
*Blind Man’s Bluff and a few other fun colonial kids games
* Old Fashioned Games to play for Thanksgiving or anyday!
*Old Fashioned Holiday Music:
– “Money Musk” as Eph played on his fiddle
– Jingle Bells … A Thanksgiving tune ???
– A Child’s Thanksgiving Traditions
from Pilgrim Hall Museum
– A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving
(ok…not so “old-fashioned”, but traditional! 🙂 )
– Ideas for starting your own traditions:
+ Giving Thanks Thanksgiving Family Traditions
+ Fun Family Activities
(nice ideas to get outside too! from Parenting Magazine)
*Thanksgiving Activities Just For Fun:
– Fun Printables from Enchanted Learning… Mini-Books, Crossword Puzzles, Coloring Pages, etc.
– Coloring Pages from Doodle Art Alley (including a super cute turkey) 🙂
– Hidden Pictures Coloring Pages (including Thanksgiving and Christmas)
– Pilgrim Thanksgiving Coloring Book (printable)
*Favorite Books & Movies for An Old Fashioned Thanksgiving Unit Study –
**The resources below are direct links to Amazon. At NO extra cost to you, I will receive a small commission from any sales made through them. Thanks for supporting Fields of Daisies!
*Louisa May Alcott Books/Movies
*Thanksgiving Reading and Grammar
*Thanksgiving Art Study
*Who Was Norman Rockwell ?
*Norman Rockwell: Getting to Know the World’s Greatest Artists
*The Saturday Evening Post (Spot the Differences)
*Norman Rockwell Puzzle (Great idea for a Thanksgiving Day family activity !)
*Thanksgiving Gratitude Ideas
*Thanksgiving Science (cooking) Ideas
*Cool Thanksgiving Dinner (Cookbook for Kids- Beyond the Basics)