An American Girl Christmas
*Homeschooling Through the Holidays*
Christmas School is the perfect answer to how to Homeschool during the holidays !
The holidays are coming ! The holidays are coming !
Cooking, cleaning, preparing for company, shopping, parties, children’s plays,
church events, cooking some more, oh, yeah….and homeschooling !
Phew! I’m tired just from typing all of that !
How DO you homeschool through the holidays ?
Do you dream every year about decorating cookies with your kids, curling up by a fire and reading Christmas stories, making handmade gifts and cards, and spending time as a family focusing on the real heart of the holiday ?
Do you find it impossible to balance the long list of “to-do’s” with all the
“want to do’s” ?
Something always falls short … school doesn’t happen, the fun stuff doesn’t happen, or the sleep doesn’t happen. Sure you can clean the house at 1am when company is arriving in the morning…. zzzzzz. Yep me too. I’ve tried juggling all those plates. Just not my forte.
Continue reading An American Girl Christmas – Holiday Homeschool
~Turn of the Century~
Welcome to Samantha’s World 1904:
Growing Up During America’s New Century
Welcome to the world of Samantha Parkington, and the 6th unit
in the series of American Girl/American History Unit Studies !
In this Unit, we will learn what daily life was like at the Turn of the Century- imagine…the etiquette of high tea, ballroom dancing, or strolling through Central Park…or working grueling hours in a shirtwaist factory and living in a tenement. We will delve into the Industrial Revolution and we will walk down the avenues of the World’s Fair re-discovering the amazing inventions that were changing the world! We will imagine life through the eyes of children seeing the shores of America for the very first time, and settling in a new country. We will get to know the President, known for his connection to the “teddy bear”- can you guess who it is? And we will also get to know some of his friends who called our attention to America’s great natural beauty.
What an EXCITING time to have lived !
What an exciting time to re-live !
Hope you enjoy this unit.
**Note: This post contains Amazon affiliate links (directly to Amazon). At NO extra cost to you, I will earn a small commission from any sales clicked on through the links on this page. Thank you for helping me keep my units FREE !
* Turn of the Century Core Reading:
*Week 1: “Welcome to Samantha’s World 1904″-
1. “Welcome to Samantha’s World 1904″- Meet Samantha (p. 1 )
2. “Welcome to Samantha’s World 1904″- A Growing Country (p. 2-5 )
3. “Welcome to Samantha’s World 1904″- Factories & Invention (p. 6-7; 26-27; 46-49)
4. “Welcome to Samantha’s World 1904″- Immigration (p. 42-45; 50-51 )
5. “Welcome to Samantha’s World 1904″- City Life, Country Life (p. 10-13; 8-9)
*Week 2: “Welcome to Samantha’s World 1904″-
A Day with Samantha
1. “Welcome to Samantha’s World 1904″- A Girl’s Life (p. 36-37 )
2. “Welcome to Samantha’s World 1904″- Ettiquette & Society (p. 32-35 )
3. “Welcome to Samantha’s World 1904″- Fun & Entertainment (p. 14-17; 28-29)
4. “Welcome to Samantha’s World 1904″- Fashion (p. 18-19; 30-31 )
5. “Welcome to Samantha’s World 1904″- Health & Beauty (p. 20-23 )
*Week 3: “Welcome to Samantha’s World 1904”-
The Turn of a Century
1. “Welcome to Samantha’s World 1904″- The President (p. 24-25 )
2. “Welcome to Samantha’s World 1904″- The Reformers (p. 52-53 )
3. “Welcome to Samantha’s World 1904″- Changes for Women (p. 38-39; 56-57 )
4. “Welcome to Samantha’s World 1904″- Philanthropy (p. 40-41 )
5. “Welcome to Samantha’s World 1904″- The Naturalists (p. p. 54-55 )
Continue reading Samantha Turn of the Century Unit Study