~An Old Fashioned Thanksgiving~
Thanksgiving Unit Study
Stories to read aloud together, recipes, games to play, crafts, history, family devotional ideas, and lots more fun!
* “An Old Fashioned Thanksgiving” by Louisa May Alcott
(google reader, book format)
Read/print it out here
Listen to “An Old Fashioned Thanksgiving” Audiobook (free)
*Watch the Hallmark movie version of “An Old Fashioned Thanksgiving” online
Continue reading “~An Old Fashioned Thanksgiving~”
~Thankfulness: The Real Things Haven’t Changed~
Words For Wednesdays
“The real things haven’t changed.
It is still best to be honest and truthful;
to make the most of what we have;
to be happy with simple pleasures;
and have courage when things go wrong.”
~Laura Ingalls Wilder
I have been working on a unit study about life in Frontier America.
I am amazed by the pioneer’s courage and their simple faith.
Thankfulness…the real things haven’t changed.
Their gratitude for the smallest graces
is something we can all reflect on
and aspire to.
What simple pleasures are you thankful for today?
My quick list:
~The smell of baking bread
~Salty, roasted pumpkin seeds
~The change in seasons today
Fall Coloring Pages for All Ages
Who doesn’t love to color ?!?
There’s something so cheery about a new box of crayons
& a good coloring book!
Coloring is a great activity to keep the wiggles to a minimum…
while listening to a read aloud, when everyone needs a mental break,
while waiting for a sibling’s practice to end,
in the kitchen while mom is cooking dinner,
or anytime, really !
Leaves are falling and the air is crisp even here in Texas.
Here’s some of my favorite fall coloring pages.
Print a few & be sure to color one yourself !
*Be sure to scroll to the bottom of this page & check out the
free audio books too ! Coloring and audio books are such a great way to spend an afternoon ! 🙂
*Less Detailed Coloring Pages
– Fall Leaves from Itsy Bitsy Fun
– Lots of Fall Coloring Pages from Raising Our Kids
– 13 Fun Fall Pictures to color from Eyes On Heaven
– Simple Scarecrow, Squirrel, from Activity Village
– Autumn Coloring Pages (nice themes) from Coloring Page
– P for Pumpkin (coloring & tracing page)
– A is for Acorn (& much more) from Twisty Noodle
– Charlotte’s Web coloring pages
– Fall Coloring Pages from Crayola
*More Detailed Coloring Pages
– It’s Fall Y’all doodle/coloring pages from Abstract Doodles
– Fall Owls (4 sample coloring pages) from Dover Publications
– Scarecrow with Birds
– 4 Fall/Thanksgiving Coloring pages from Doodle Art Alley (very sweet drawings)
– Autumn Horses from Oodles of Doodles
– Kids Playing in Leaves, Children Catching Leaves from Activity Village
– Autumn Scene
– Autumn Tree with Rake
– It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown coloring pages
– Charlotte’s Web coloring pages
–Fall Coloring Pages from U-Create
* Some FREE Audiobooks I found to go along with the fall theme and the coloring pages-
– The Story of Johnny Appleseed
(If you’d like to listen to a longer story as recorded on “old time” radio
THIS is a kind of fun recording )
– Charlotte’s Web
(THIS recording is chapter by chapter which is quite convenient for stopping and starting)
– The Long Winter
(from the Little House series- also read chapter by chapter)
* Looking for some more relaxed FALL FUN for your family?
Story Time !
My Friday Favorite this week is story time.
Some of the sweetest memories with my children have been made while all curled up reading books together.
Can you remember your favorite childhood books?
My children all have theirs and can even still remember some of them word for word… we may have read ‘Mr. Brown Can Moo, Can You?‘ one or five thousand times. 🙂
Another way our family has enjoyed great story times is by listening to someone else read the story. We would pile up on the couch with blankets and pillows and snacks, or in a fort built on somebody’s bed and enjoy the story together. This is especially fun on a cold or rainy winter’s day.
Listening to a book being read aloud builds so many wonderful skills, and if you have a reluctant reader in the mix, this might be a way to help them appreciate all the joys of a good book without the frustration!
There are so many great audio books available for free (and to buy) !
These books are a great resource to use for history, for english, for science & nature study, for snuggle times, ok…you get it…for anytime!
Need a break? The kids need a break? Go on a nature walk & then come back in, get cozy with a cup of cocoa, and listen to a classic Thornton Burgess story. LOVE this one! 🙂
Just to give you an idea of what’s out there,
here’s some of my favorites~
‘The Velveteen Rabbit‘ (audio)
‘The Velveteen Rabbit‘ (text to read along if you’d like)
‘Just So Stories‘ (audio)
‘Just So Stories‘ (text)
‘Aunt Jo’s Scrapbag‘
‘A Little Princess‘
‘The Secret Garden‘
‘Little Men‘ (Both boys & girls would love this story I think! One of my favorites!)
Here’s a few picture books read aloud on YouTube for the littles~
‘The Rainbow Fish‘
‘Go Dog, Go!‘
‘The Very Hungry Caterpillar‘
‘Are You My Mother‘
‘Mr. Brown Can Moo, Can You?‘
HAPPY FRIDAY TO YOU !
Fun Fall Family Activities!
Fall is my Friday Favorite today. 🙂
I LOVE FALL !
The cooler weather, breezy and brisk;
the beautiful colors, reds and rusts;
cozy sweaters, hot spiced ciders, and roaring bonfires, oh my!
It just makes me want to get outside.
The change of seasons seems to bring some kind of refreshment to the soul.
This Friday’s favorites are all fall…
**Note: I think you can enjoy these ideas most anywhere in the country even if it’s
85* like it is today here in Texas. Alas, I lit my pumpkin candle & sipped my pumpkin spice coffee while writing this post. It is raining (BIG change), and it’s 85* today. That is a change from 105* at least. It’s fall, y’all ! 🙂
*Go on a nature walk !
Perfect way for everyone to take a break and breathe in the fall !
*100 Things to Do Before, During, or After a Nature Walk from Jimmie’s Collage
* Nature Walk Ideas: Simple Play from Nurture Store (all freebie ideas, no worries)
* Leaf Rubbings (with a great tip on how-to for any littles in your family too!)
from Word Play House
* Pinecone Spiders from Fireflies and Mudpies
* Fall Walk Windchimes from Fun Family Crafts
* Fall Scavenger Hunt Ideas
– Fall Nature Walk Scavenger Hunt (for all ages!) from Starts at Eight
– Digital Camera Fall Scavenger Hunt (free printable) from Hearts and Trees
– Fall Family Scavenger Hunt from the National Wildlife Federation
– SERIOUSLY amazing Family Scavenger Hunt from My Open Country
**Didn’t find a scavenger hunt that was just right? Here is the ULTIMATE LIST of scavenger hunts for any occasion ! Or for no occasion other than kids of all ages seem to LOVE scavenger hunts. 🙂 From My Joy Filled Life
* Nature Notebooking Ideas
– Simple Nature Journaling from The Homeschool Scientist
– Inspiration Everywhere uses magazine cutouts of birds & other wildlife sightings…
love this idea!
– Assorted Fall “Nature Walk” Coloring Pages
– Nature Walk Coloring and Drawing Page