Fall leaves make me want to create something!
They’re some of the most beautiful artworks in nature. Nearly every color can be found. Even here in central Texas, our leaves have begun to be painted in warm yellows and oranges. While doing some reading for this post, I realized that there were lots of great ideas for activities to learn about leaves for the Littles crew, but not as many for the older crowd.
Hopefully, you and your family will enjoy this mini fall leaves “unit”. Really, this is just a list of activities and reading, and would be a great days activity for a Friday afternoon (or Tuesday or any day when the crisp fall weather causes us to all want to be outdoors)…or on a busy week (like Thanksgiving)…or just any day (because YAY you homeschool and can do that!!).
*If you’d like to listen to some lovely, quiet music while you scroll through these ideas, Autumn by George Winston is one of my all time favorites!
Or if you’d like a classic, Linus & Lucy: The Music of Vince Guaraldi by George Winston is nice.
*Why Do Leaves Change Colors Anyway?*
*You can start with this section or skip right to the activities –
I learned a ton about what makes leaves change colors and the types of trees
with the most vivid colored leaves.
-Before you begin, it might be fun to ask your kids why/how they think leaves change colors.
You could write down their initial answers and then review them after the day.
Depending on the ages of your children this can be quite entertaining.
– You may also like to take a quick walk before this lesson to collect some leaves to have on
hand for visuals.
– Why Do Leaves Change Colors– a short video by kids, for kids
– Chromatography- Why Leaves Change Colors –YouTube
– Why Leaves Change Colors– short video explanation from DNews
– 3 Simple Science Experiements: Why Do Leaves Change Colors? from Playdough to Plato
– Why Do Leaves Change Colors– a simple science experiment from How Wee Learn
*Fall Leaves Activities for the Littles*
– Montessori-Inspired Autumn Leaf Unit from Living Montessori Now
– 8 Leaf Activities from Teaching Mama
– Fall Song, How Many Leaves ? (Counting & Colors Song)
– Leaves by David Ezra Stein audio picture book on YouTube
(very nice reading with original music composition)
– Red Leaf, Yellow Leaf by Lois Ehlert – audio picture book
– Lots of Leaf Activities and Printables from Enchanted Learning
– Leaf Lacing for Toddlers from I Can Teach My Child
– My favorite fall finds for the Littles on my Pinterest board “Littles- Fall Fun”
*Fall Leaves Activities for Everyone*
– Falling Leaves Unit Study from DIY Homeschooler
– Autumn Leaves Poetry
– Some great fall leaves ideas from The Homeschool Scientist
– Fall Leaves Ideas for all ages!
– TONS of Fall Leaf Crafty Ideas from 123 Homeschool For Me
– Collection of Fall Leaf Coloring Pages– nice, detailed drawings
– Leaf Identification Cards (free printables!) from Wildflower Ramblings
– Leaf Identification App
+ Picture This Plant Identification App
*Leaves Book List !
So I’m a homeschooler. I can’t resist a books list. 😀
Just a few of my favorite books and kits. The links below are Amazon affiliate links. This means that if you purchase any of the items below by clicking below, I will get a small commission at NO extra cost to you at all. This helps me keep my blog running ! Thanks!
*Why Do Leaves Change Colors ?
*Look What I Did With a Leaf !
*Because of an Acorn
*Trees, Leaves, and Bark (Take Along Guide)
*Leaf Collecting Kit* Fall Leaves Journal/Notebooking
*Hello Autumn Coloring Book (older kids and adults)
*George Winston “Autumn”
Fall Leaves Cookie Cutter Set